Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Election Day Thoughts

Last night I teared up when watching both the Concession speech of John McCain and The Acceptance Speech of Barrack Obama.  I am so grateful to both of them for their commitment to public service.  It is one of those moments that made me proud to be an American. Yes, the patriotism swelled. There was one moment after the the speech that the Obama and Biden families were on the stage. I turned to Carm and said "That is the way it is suppose to be."

Back in the very early 1970's our family and the Bailey family went out to have a burger at Big Boy's on the corner of Shaw and Blackstone in Fresno. I liked palling with Vicky who was my age and Mom had found a confidant in Ethel. It was just a nice meal with two families.  What made the meal memorable was two 20 somethings that came up to us with smiles. A Man and a Woman, they were wearing matching clothes. They introduced themselves as working for a civil rights organization and that they had to tell us that watching our two families, black and white, laughing and eating together was what they wanted for the country. It was puzzling to me as a preteen that it was an event at all, but caused me to reflect about what was going on politically.

No comments: