Monday, November 03, 2008

Tom-Tom, Shmuggles and Ky-Puppy

Curses to those nicknames we get as kids.  They are always there in the back of our minds. Of course there is always family get-together's to remind us that we were kids once.  Yes, family still calls me Kimmy and I still call my big brother Timmy. But what about the next Gen down that are now old enough to bestowing those names on the newer models.

My boys had the names in the title. I don't know if they haunt the first two, but poor Kythe was burdened with Corporal Ky-Puppy during his service in the US Marine Corps.  What can I say, Mom's are foolish that way.

After the 9-11-2001 attacks, I had not heard from Kythe and wanted to know if he was okay. For all I knew, they had immediately sent him to NYC.  I called his room down at Camp Pendleton and left what I thought was an inconspicuous message "Hey, Ky Puppy. Its your mom, just want to know if you are okay."  Unfortunately he was out on maneuvers and his roommate heard the message first. When he came in from the Field, everyone was calling him Corporal Ky-Puppy and letting him know his Mommy called.

He had a promotion and even though Sergeant Stillwell has a better ring to it, he is still known as Ky-Puppy.

No comments: